Home Legalisation of documents in Lebanon
Legalisation of documents in Lebanon
Do you have to bring the document yourself? No, anyone can bring your document.
ATTENTION: For optimum service, your comfort and safety the legalization Section is now only accessible by appointment. To make an appointment, please click on 'Online appointment system' in the menu 'Quick links' on the right of your screen.
1. Legalization of Lebanese documents
For civil status documents issued by the Lebanese authorities or other competent foreign authorities (birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce certificate...) one should request a "CERTIFIED TRU COPY or “EXTRACT" of the original document from the competent authorities.
2. Legalization of Palestinian documents of Lebanon
For those of Palestinian origin: contact the Bureau for Palestine Refugees Affairs (address: Rue El Khattab Omar, Ras El Nabeh, Beirut, Tel: 01/646734) in order to obtain the documents in the form of a "CERTIFIED EXTRACT" of the original.
The legalization process for Lebanese/Palestinian documents takes 72 H after the documents have been submitted at the Consulate.
3. Special procedure for legalization of Syrian documents
The Consulate general of Belgium in Beirut is competent for legalisations of civil status documents issued by the Syrian authorities (birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce certificate...) One should request a "CERTIFIED TRU COPY" or “EXTRACT" of the original document from the competent authorities.
- Legalization of the original document by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Syria
- Legalization by the Syrian Embassy in Beirut
- Legalization by the Lebanese Foreign Ministry in Beirut
- Legalization by the Consulate General of Belgium in Beirut (with translation by a sworn translator in one of the national languages).
The legalization process for Syrian documents takes 7 calendar days from the date the documents have been submitted at the Consulate.
All documents to be legalized should be translated in French or Dutch and legalized by the Lebanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (stamp in French of this ministry). The Embassy will legalize the signature of the competent person at the Lebanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
One should regularly consult the website to know the used exchange rate.